Pacific Grove’s first library was established in “The Old Parlor” in 1886, was relocated in the Octagon Museum building in 1888, and was moved to Central Avenue in 1905.
The present building at Central and fountain was built with Carnegie funds in 1907-08. The building was enlarged in 1926, 1938, 1950, and 1978 to keep pace with the growing needs of its users.
Pacific Grove Public Library is a department of the City of Pacific Grove. It is funded primarily from the City general Fund.
The City council is the Library’s governing body. A 5-person Library Board, appointed by the Mayor, advises the administration and reports to the Council.
A citizens’ group, the Friends of the Library, provides support by means of volunteer service and supplemental monetary donations.