The Library’s Mission Statement: The Library seeks to inform, educate and foster cultural enrichment and recreational pursuits by providing books and other library resources for all who use it.
The Library’s Early History:
In 1886 the first library in Pacific Grove opened in the “reading corner” of the Old Parlor. The Old Parlor was located at 165 Fountain Avenue at the corner of Fountain and High, now Ricketts Lane. It was used as a community hall from the early 1880s until 1910.
In 1904 the collection was given to the city which obtained a Carnegie grant of $10,000 in 1906. The Pacific Improvement Company donated the lot, itself valued at $10,000. McDougall Bros. designed the building and Henry Chivers and the Granite Rock Company were the builders.
On May 12, 1908 the Pacific Grove Public Library opened at its current location. Although the exterior of the original Carnegie building has changed somewhat, it is still in the Mission style, and many of the original features in the interior, including the lovely arches and windows of the Reading Area, have been maintained. These features, along with a library staff long noted for friendly assistance and high quality service, combine to provide a welcoming atmosphere to everyone who visits the library.
Read more about the Library’s history here and come to the Library to see documents and photographs illustrating the Library’s early history in our glass display cases.